While linoleum and vinyl floors may have their similarities, there are several major differences between the two. Linoleum is usually costlier and typically requires a low level of maintenance.
As a type of flooring material, linoleum is flexible and very powerful. The prime drawback to this type of flooring material is the level of durability that it offers. As a result, great care and persistence must be observed during maintenance.
No need to worry, though. I’ve got you covered! Below, I’ll give you some tips on how to clean your linoleum floors to keep them looking and smelling fresh and clean.
Tips for Cleaning Linoleum Floors
- Clean your linoleum floors with vinegar and water.
- Pour 4-5 drops of vinegar in a bucket of water (about 10 liters).
- Mop the linoleum with the mixture.
- Allow the floor to dry.
NOTE: Perform this procedure at least two times a week for the best results. Using these substances (water and vinegar) continuously will help to keep your linoleum floors in pristine condition.
In addition, vinegar helps to prevent the accumulation of wax.
- Expose your linoleum floors to sunlight by opening up a few windows. When linoleum floors lack exposure to sunlight, they may develop a yellow-looking color.
As a result, you need to regularly open up a few windows to allow the sunlight to beam through.
- Use bleach and water to remove stains. Bleach is a very powerful substance that can help to remove difficult stains. By mixing it with water, you can create an effective and powerful solution.
- Combine 1 part bleach and 4 parts water.
- Scrub the floors with the solution. (Using a sponge or mop is ideal.)
- Re-wipe with vinegar to reduce the corrosiveness of the bleach. Keep in mind that bleach can affect persons with sensitive skin.
Also, be mindful that it’s vital to mop or sweep the linoleum beforehand.
- Use vinegar and warm water to get rid of scuff markings.
- Add a few drops of vinegar to a bucket of warm water.
- Wipe the floor with the solution, making sure to wring before you wipe.
Cleaning linoleum floors is one of the easiest tasks you’ll ever perform. As long as you carefully follow the steps and use the right equipment, you’re good to go!
The most powerful solutions for cleaning linoleum floors are water and vinegar and water and bleach. Don’t use too much bleach, though. Skin-sensitive persons may be negatively impacted by its harshness.
Cleaning your linoleum floors has become so easy! Now, you have no excuse for not keeping your home clean and fresh!