Tiles are usually beautiful, long-lasting and easily cleaned, but removing grout? That is a whole different topic. Due to its commonly light colors, and permeable structure, grout is susceptible to causing stains.
In an Entry and Mudroom area that is tiled, grime and dirt usually present a major problem. However, in places such as the kitchen, the culprits are usually spills. Cleaning grout in bathroom tiles is generally a demanding task, due to the mildew, mold, and soap that accumulate from time to time.
Thankfully, in cleaning grout in the most effective way possible, you may utilize traditional household products along with a small amount of elbow grease.
When you opt to conduct a cleaning routine, it’s usually more preferable to start with the gentlest solution. If it happens that you’re doubtful of a certain cleaning agent, try it on a less visible spot (For e.g. Underneath your couch).
Here are some tips:
- Start off by using a hard brush and fresh water. Just spray the warm water on the grout lines, then scrub in a hoop-like motion. After that, leave it to dry.
- For situations where you have a larger amount of mild stains and dirt, use vinegar. Create an even mixture of warm water and vinegar and top up a spray bottle. Spray the grout with the mixture and leave it for around 4 minutes. Next, use a hard brush to scrub it.
- In order to bring about extra cleaning power, make a puree using water and baking soda. Spread across the grout lines with the puree and shower on the vinegar compound. As soon as the foaming stops, rinse with fresh water after using a brush to scrub it.
- If there exist stains that are not that harsh, you can employ the use of Hydrogen Peroxide. This can be obtained in several drug stores. Beyond that, you may use this product directly on the tiles or create a pulp with Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda.
- For stains that are extremely hard to remove, and really filthy grout, I recommend employing Oxygen bleach. They come in certain brands like OxiClean and Clorox OxiMagic. Also, make sure to abide by the directions that come with it. Just spread Oxygen bleach across the floor and let it stay for about 10 to 20 minutesbefore you rinse. Never use unclean water to rinse as this may cause dirt to retract into the grout lines.
- To keep grout free from dirt and stains, I really suggest that you sprinkle some vinegar and use a soft cloth to wipe it at least one time per week.
Tiles and grout need to be cleaned on a regular basis to keep your building looking fresh and clean. There are several ways to do this but you have to be willing to spend the time to do it well. Don’t hesitate to go out and start your cleaning today!